Tag Archives: knit

Something New for Penny

Hello and Happy Weekend to you! I hope you are doing well and enjoying this time of year when the holidays are over.

I’ve put together a short vlog depicting my makes and other life stuff that happened this past week. Not included in the video is how we spent almost an entire day taking all the ornaments off the tree and carefully wrapping them up–tubs and tubs of ornaments. The tree was as crispy as a cracker, and the branches were sagging to the ground–such a sad state for a once beautiful tree. 😦 I am not sure why it dried out so quickly this year; perhaps the heating vent in that room is a powerhouse vent. We also put away almost all the other decorations; I still have my Snow Village up.

Penny’s new ensemble is complete and she is happily modeling it for you. Yes, it is done and I didn’t have to reknit the cardigan. Thank you for your support and suggestions for it.

Last time I talked about how the uneven striping due to the tonal yarn looked strange, but once the embroidery was complete it looked fine. And I think even without embroidery it would have been okay; it kind of matches Penny’s personality–all quirky and cute.

I also made another mistake with this cardigan which I didn’t discover until I put my needles away from this project. I knew something was amiss when I first tried the cardigan on Penny; it was so roomy, but I never (until now) get my number one and number zero needles mixed up. I was actually quite happy to discover this because it is better than my gauge changing and having to rework my patterns. So Penny has growing room with this cardigan. 😉

I wish you all a peaceful weekend and coming week. Enjoy each and every day! Hugs to you, my friends. 🤗

Happy Fall Y’all

Autumn in the northern hemisphere begins on Tuesday! Are you ready for fall weather? Our nights have been quite cool–no frost yet, so the flowers are still blooming. The days remain warm, but long gone are the 90 degree days that made up much of our summer. The past days have been beautiful! If only every day were like this!

This week I finished “Apple Picking” for the Little Darlings. Gina won the modeling lottery and is happily modeling it for you. Doesn’t she look sweet? She’s even found a few apples already.

Wool cap embellished with apple pom pom and crocheted leaves.
Wool scarf with more apple pom poms!

Gina surprised me; she likes to climb trees, especially apple trees!

The fabric I used to sew Gina’s dress was from 2015 (I think), or maybe earlier. It is a Japanese lightweight cotton fabric from Lecien; the collection’s name is Floral Collection Flower Sugar.

Back in 2015 I used this fabric for another ensemble modeled by Gina (shown below). “Apple Season” is for warmer weather. Gina will be a lot cozier in her wool knitwear this year.

I hope you enjoy the first week of autumn, or spring (lucky you!) if you are in the southern hemisphere. Thank you so much for stopping by. What are you up to this week? I’d love to hear from you. ❤

What I Do When It’s Too Big and a Video

Hello. I hope you are doing good. All is fine here in northern Illinois. After a solid week of rain and dreariness we are now into some beautiful weather again, thank goodness.

I wrote last time about how my knitting gauge has gotten looser and now my own knitting patterns are producing items that seem too large, or almost too large for the dolls they were designed for.

My last knitted garment, and the most noticeably too large, was the sweater coat for the Little Darlings. Here it is again in progress–and it wasn’t beyond fixing. It pays to try on the garment before weaving in ends and sewing up seams.

Before resizing

I added a lifeline in the row I wanted to rip back to, and then ripped away. I transferred the stitches from the lifeline on the knitting needle and knit the ribbed edging. For the body this meant right under the second to last buttonhole. The garter band of the sweater was tricky to see where to put the lifeline. If I didn’t get the right spot it was easy to fix while I was ripping out.

The sleeves needed 5 less rows, so the lifeline went in the 6th row beyond the ribbing. In addition, I decided to narrow the sleeves, so I knit backwards and added some decreases at the edges of the sleeves.

After resizing

I am so happy with the finished result. I think it fits Alice perfectly now. The ensemble is still is progress, but almost completed. I knit her hat yesterday… at the beach–a Lake Michigan beach. It was pretty enjoyable! 😉

I love the sound of water, and if you do too, or if you’d like to see some of the water installations at the Chicago Botanic Gardens please have a look/listen. It’s pretty short (but took a while to make!!!). I am brand spanking new at this, and also at recording video–that’s why some of my footage is vertical. 😮 A warning though–it’s very amateurish, sorry.

Bye for now. Thanks for stopping by. Take care–until next time. ❤ ❤ ❤